Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Riposte to 6H's feedback

Firstly, I would like to sincerely thank 6H for providing their critical, but nonetheless worthy feedback regarding a particular presentation (ahem) during the SMTP chemistry enrichment sharing session.

Though I find the comment that Zhe Wei’s group’s presentation had focussed (a tad too much?) on the actual derivation of the equation (which is admirable, of course – I find their effort perfectly laudable) agreeable, I find it distasteful for the writer to state that “much critical, creative and caring thinking is sorely deficient in Zher Wei et al.'s recent work and much needs to be worked upon”. Forgiving the recurrent spelling error (which evoked a slight degree of good-natured amusement, particularly when one considers its effect on the gravitas of the articulate research paper), I would like to note that the apparent 'snobbish' conduct of Zhe Wei, inter alios, was not deliberate. With regards to the entertaining and humorous video Joel produced (which, I personally enjoyed thoroughly for its rather colloquial interpretation of Schrödinger’s point of view), I disagree with the allegation that Jia Guang meant to portray Schrödinger in the ostensible insulting manner. (From personal relations with the stated individuals, they are hardly aloof in reality – a seeming proficiency in fanciful arithmetic manipulation is an inherent characteristic of a certain species of monkey :P). I am confident that their actions were not premeditated to cause mental blackouts and pervade the LT with an air of intellectual superiority (though this does not provide a valid exemption). I seek your understanding in this.

While the said post may appear to be emotionally-charged in the wake of the event which has, purportedly, precipitated much vexation and possibly exasperation, I believe that its merits should not be disregarded with a shrug of contempt.

I do agree that there exists a lacuna between the two classes; indubitably, this should not be the case – partisan behaviour should be effaced (such that it may no longer haunt us for the rest of all eternity). I honestly hope that both classes would put in effort to refrain – abstain, even – from making generalised, prejudiced and stereotypical (which the writer has kindly identified) comments on each other.

Though I cannot provide an affirmative panacea for this issue of undiminished import, I would be receptive towards input from both classes. :D

Lastly, I hope that this would not come across as any form of malicious attack on any individual or group – undermining relations between 6H and 6K is certainly the last thing on my mind.

Best regards,
JeremyL

No comments: